YIELD: 4 servings
1 lb. ground beef (80/20)
2 Tbsps. cumin
2 Tbsps. smoked paprika
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. chives, chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
1 Tbsp. tarragon, chopped
2 cups shredded Gouda cheese
1 box filo pastry
2 cups clarified butter
2 Tbsps. chopped parsley
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Bring pastry dough to room temperature.
2. Render ground beef over medium-high heat in sauté pan. Drain excess grease.
3. Add cumin, paprika and garlic. Set aside and let cool.
4. Once beef mixture is cool, fold in chives, rosemary, tarragon and cheese into mixture and set aside.
5. Brush each filo pastry sheet with clarified butter. Place 8 ounces beef mixture onto each filo sheet and roll whole thing tightly, leaving seam down.
6. Place filled pastry in oven and bake until golden brown (check after 10 minutes).
7. Brush pastry with additional clarified butter, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Photo and recipe: William J. Allison, Jr., CEC, executive chef, University of Mary Washington