YIELD: 12 (4-oz.) patties
2½ cups water
8 oz. ancient grain blend of amaranth, red rice, brown rice and multicolored split peas
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small yellow onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, minced
½ cup celery, minced
½ cup garbanzo-bean flour
1 cup gluten-free panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp. minced fresh thyme
1 Tbsp. minced flat-leaf parsley
½ tsp. ground roasted cumin
2 Tbsps. liquid soy-free egg replacer
1 tsp. ground smoked paprika
1 tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. ground black pepper
1 cup rice flour
2 Tbsps. oil, for pan-frying
1. In small pot with water, stir in ancient grain blend. Add bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and cook for 40 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
2. Remove bay leaf. Transfer grains to bowl; let cool to room temperature.
3. In skillet, heat olive oil. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery and cook for 4 minutes. Stir vegetables into cooked grains.
4. To grain/vegetable mixture, stir in garbanzo-bean flour, panko, thyme, parsley, cumin, egg replacer, paprika, salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to food processor and pulse until blended. (Do not over-blend.)
5. Transfer mixture back to bowl and work product until it holds together well. Store chilled, covered, for at least 1 hour and up to 4 days.
6. To prepare burgers, shape mixture into 4-oz. patties. Lightly dust both sides of each patty with rice flour.
7. In skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Pan-fry patties until browned, about 4 minutes per side.