YIELD: 24 servings
6 cups heavy cream
2 Tbsps. curry powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup butter
2 lbs. onions, cut in half, sliced 1/4" thick
2 qts. water
3 Tbsps. lemon juice
4 Granny Smith apples
4 Red Delicious apples
2 lbs. turnips, peeled, quartered, thinly sliced
24 chicken breasts, pounded
Olive oil, as needed
48 spinach leaves, cut into thin strips
- FOR THE SAUCE: Heat the cream and curry powder in a 5 quart saucepan over medium heat. Lightly season the cream with salt and pepper. Simmer cream until it has reduced by half. Do not let cream foam over the sides. Hold the warm reduced cream in a double boiler.
- FOR THE ONIONS: Heat 1/4 cup of butter in a sautè pan and add sliced onions. Cook over low heat about 30 minutes, stirring often until golden brown and caramelized. Set aside.
- FOR THE APPLES: While the cream is simmering, acidulate water with the lemon juice. Core and quarter the unpeeled apples. Slice widthwise about 1/4" thick. Place in water to prevent browning. Cover with film wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- FOR THE TURNIPS: Blanch turnips in boiling, salted water. Transfer to ice water and let cool. Remove from the water and drain thoroughly. Reserve.
- FOR THE CHICKEN: Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, brush with olive oil and grill, about 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. While chicken is grilling, heat remaining 1/4 cup butter in a sautè pan over medium heat. When melted add apples and turnips; sautè until tender.
- TO SERVE: Pool curry sauce on the plate, center two chicken breasts on the plate, spoon onions, apple and turnips around them. Garnish with sliced spinach leaves.
Recipe and photo provided by the National Onion Association.