YIELD: 50 1-1/2-in. pancakes
2 cups roasted corn seasoned to taste with Mexi Spice (see below)
1 cup corn meal
1-1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 each egg yolks
2-1/2 cups buttermilk
1 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt 3 each egg whites
FOR THE MEXI-SPICE:
4 Tbsps. ancho chile powder
1 Tbsp. cumin powder
1/2 Tbsp. oregano powder
4 tsps. granulated garlic
3 Tbsps. kosher salt
1/2 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
(Mix together and store in air-tight container for seasoning as needed.)
- Sift the flour together with the baking powder, corn meal and salt; set aside.
- Whisk the buttermilk, egg yolks, corn and cilantro together.
- Add the cornmeal mix to the buttermilk mix and whisk together lightly.
- Whip the egg whites to soft peaks; fold into the corn mix.
- Form into 1-1/2-in. pancakes and pan fry in oil or butter; serve.
Recipe from Daniel Pliska, CEC, Executive Chef, University Club, University of Missouri-Columbia.