YIELD: 12 servings (small plate or appetizer size)
3/4 cup olive oil
2 cups passion fruit juice
2 Tbsps. finely-diced shallots
2 tsps. brown sugar
Salt, as needed
12 ea. Russet potatoes (80 count)
4 cups chicken stock
2 tsps. saffron threads
3 lbs. lobster meat (mostly claws)
2/3 cup unsalted butter
2 tsps. garlic powder
Salt and pepper, as needed
2 cups leeks, washed, finely diced (white part only)
1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted, finely-diced
- In a food processor, mix all vinaigrette ingredients at high speed for 1 minute; set aside.
- Place leeks in hot vegetable oil (350°F) and fry for 1 minute; place in paper towels and set aside.
- Peel potatoes and place aside. In a saucepan, add chicken stock and saffron and bring to a boil; add potatoes. Cook for 7 minutes until fork-tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, melt butter in a hot, large skillet; add lobster meat, garlic powder, salt and pepper and cook for 4 minutes at medium heat. Keep warm.
- Remove potatoes from liquid and slice into 1-in. slices. Place 2 or 3 slices in each of 12 plates, followed by 3 or 4 oz. of lobster meat and 1 tsp. of fried leeks. Garnish each plate with 2 Tbsps. vinaigrette and sprinkle with a few diced kalamata olives.
Recipe from International Cuisine Chef-Instructor Luis Amado, Baker College, Muskegon, MI. Photo from the Idaho Potato Commission.