YIELD: 24 servings
6 lbs. smoked turkey breast, shaved thin
3 lbs. provolone cheese, shaved thin
1lb. zucchini, 1/4"diced
1 lb. plum tomatoes,1/4"diced
1 lb. eggplant,1/4" diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsps. Italian herb blend
8 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
Salt and pepper, to taste
24 olive loaves or boules, sliced horizontally
1/2 cup olive oil
Rosemary sprigs or basil leaves, as needed
- Divide the turkey into 24, 4 oz. portions and divide the provolone into 2 oz. portions. Wrap, refrigerate and reserve.
- Mix the vegetables, seasonings and Parmesan together. Cover and reserve.
- PER ORDER: Heat the bread on the griddle, with the cut side down, until golden brown; reserve.
- Place a 4 oz. serving of turkey on the griddle; heat for about 1 minute, turn the turkey over and place 2 oz. provolone on top of the turkey, allowing the cheese to melt; reserve.
- Place1/2 cup vegetable mixture on the griddle and stir-fry with 1 tsp. olive oil for about 1 minute.
- When the cheese has almost melted, remove the bread from the griddle and place the warm turkey/cheese onto the bread. Add the heated vegetables. Cover with the top of the roll. Slice the sandwich on the diagonal. Garnish plate with fresh herbs.
*May use seven-grain bread if the olive loaves or boules are not available.
Recipe developed by Executive Chef Howard Velie, formerly of Eurest Dining Services, Washington, DC. The recipe was the award winning sandwich recipe in the NTF 1999 Turkey with a Twist National Recipe Competition.