4 Tbsps.garlic, minced
8 Tbsps.dried shrimp
4 lbs.eggplant, sliced in ¾-in. batonette
4 oz.water or vegetable stock
5 Tbsps.chili paste
6 Tbsps.oyster sauce
1 ½ tsps. salt
4 Tbsps.rice wine vinegar
1 ½ lbs.tofu
1 lb.zucchini, sliced ½-in
1 Tbsp.Shaoxing wine
4 Tbsps.sesame oil
2 Tbsps.mushroom soy sauceDIRECTIONS:1. Soak the dried shrimp overnight barely covered with cold water. Drain and chop finely.
2. Steam the eggplant for 2 minutes until it wilts slightly without cooking or getting soft.
3. Steam the tofu and zucchini until the zucchini softens slightly and the tofu firms up, about 3 minutes.
4. Season the wok or griddle and heat the oil until it smokes. Fry the garlic and shrimp together until the garlic takes a little color. Add steamed eggplant and toss over medium heat for about 2 minutes.
5. Add the stock and lower the flame. Add oyster sauce, chili paste and toss. Add salt and sugar, then vinegar. Add steamed tofu and zucchini and toss, cooking gently.
6. Cook briefly and then finish with rice wine, sesame oil and mushroom soy. SERVINGS:10 to 12 servingsFrom:xecutive Chef Jean-Michel Boulot, University of Washington, Seattle
Spicy Eggplant with Shrimp and Pork