YIELD: 8 servings
4 cups Madeira wine
3 cups sour pie cherries, fresh or frozen, pitted, cut in halves
3 Tbsps + 1 tsp. honey
4 tsps. tarragon, dried
4 cups hazelnuts, chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tsps. black pepper, ground
6 Tbsps. butter, divided
4 lbs. (8 steaks) filet mignon or top sirloin
1-1/3 cups shallots, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper, ground
2 Tbsps. cornstarch
2 Tbsps. cold water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place Madeira, sour cherries, honey and tarragon in bowl; set aside.
- Mix hazelnuts, mayonnaise and 3 tsps. black pepper together until blended; set aside.
- Melt 4 Tbsps. butter in large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add meat and brown on all sides. Remove meat from pan and set pan aside for later use.
- Pat hazelnut-mayonnaise mixture on top and bottom of meat. Place in greased 13x9x2-in. baking pan. Bake at 350°F for 10 to 20 minutes to desired doneness.
- Add shallots and garlic to frying pan with meat drippings and sautè 6 to 8 minutes until translucent.Add Madeira mixture, salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper; scrape with spatula to loosen meat drippings from bottom of pan. Cook at a slow boil, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until reduced by half (about 4 cups).
- Mix cornstarch and cold water together in a small bowl. Stir cornstarch mixture slowly into sauce and cook 3 minutes. Stir in remaining 2 Tbsps. butter until melted.
- Place meat on plates; spoon 1/2 cup sauce over top to serve.
Recipe and photo from the Hazelnut Council.