YIELD: 6 Servings
3 Tbsps. vegetable oil
6 Tbsps. garlic, chopped
3 Tbsps. ginger, chopped
3 cups water
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. pepper
1 1⁄2 cup rice wine, sweet, fermented
6 chicken breast filets, sliced, 5-oz. pieces
1 1⁄2 cups baby bok choy tips
1 1⁄2 cups snap peas (or snow peas)
1 1⁄2 cups carrots, sliced
1 1⁄2 cups bell peppers, red, julienne
1 1⁄2 cups bell peppers, yellow, julienne
1 1⁄2 cups chives, yellow, chopped
1 1⁄2 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 1⁄2 Tbsps. cornstarch
2/3 cup water
6 Tbsps. sesame seed oil
18 oz. Oriental egg noodles
24 green chive fl owers
- In large wok, heat vegetable oil.
- Add garlic and ginger to oil and sauté until golden brown.
- Add water, salt, pepper and rice wine to wok and stir.
- Add chicken to wok and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add baby bok choy tips, peas, carrots, peppers, chives and mushrooms, to wok and cook for about 1 minute.
- Dilute cornstarch in water and stir into mixture. Return to boil.
- Right before serving, drizzle sesame oil over chicken stir-fry.
- For the Bird's Nest Oriental Noodles: Place 3 oz. noodles in 6 oz. perforated ladle. Place another ladle on top, the place in deep fryer until golden brown.
- Per order: Place bird's nest in center of plate. Place 8 oz. chicken stir-fry mixture in center of bird's next. Garnish with 4 chive sprigs.
Recipe by Joe Salim, Executive Chef, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, New Brunswick, NJ 3rd place winner in the 2006 HFM Culinary Competition.