YIELD: 4 servings
2 lbs. whiting fillets, skin off (silver hake)
4-6 slices Serrano ham or prosciutto
4-5 Tbsps. olive oil
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1 whole small head of cauliflower
1 whole garlic clove
½ cup raisins, soaked in hot water for 1 hour in advance
3 Tbsps. white wine
½ cup whole almonds, toasted
2 Tbsps. chopped chives, thyme and parsley
For the paprika aioli:
juice and 1 fresh lemon
1 cup light mayonnaise
1 whole garlic clove, minced
3 Tbsps. fruity extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsps. sherry vinegar
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. sweet smoked paprika
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Cut the fillets in same size portions. Season with salt and pepper and wrap with ham or proscuitto.
2. Pre-heat a heavy cast iron skillet at high heat, drizzle with oil, place the fish and lower the heat to medium. Cook for 3-5 minutes until golden brown then flip the fish and transfer the pan to the preheated oven and cook for about 8-10 minutes. The ham or prosciutto should be crispy but not burned and the fish should be just cooked through. Reserve the fish and keep warm.
3. For the cauliflower: Cut the Cauliflower into florets. Set aside.
4. Pre-heat a sauté pan, quickly add some olive oil or canola and cook the whole garlic clove for 10 seconds, then add the cauliflower and cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, Add the soaked raisins (discard the liquid) and the wine, season with salt, pepper and the chopped herbs. Keep warm.
5. For the aioli: In a pan at low heat, lightly brown the garlic with the olive oil. Let cool at room temp. In a shallow bowl mix all the ingredients. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve with the fish.
Recipe: Chef Mitchell M. Kaldrovich, Sea Glass Restaurant, Inn by the Sea, Cape Elizabeth, ME.
Serrano-Wrapped Roasted Whiting
YIELD: 4 servings