YIELD: 10 DOZEN PASTRIES
12 oz. unsalted butter
1 Tbsp. salt
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
4½ cups all-purpose flour (1 lb. 5 oz.)
8 oz. Mascarpone
1½ cups freshly shredded Asiago cheese (5½ oz.)
2/3 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese (2 oz.)
½ cup freshly shredded Romano cheese (1½ oz.)
1 egg white, beaten
2 Tbsp. cracked black pepper (½ oz.)
2 Tbsp. fennel seeds, crushed (½ oz.)
1. Cream butter with salt and red pepper flakes in mixer fitted with flat paddle until softened. Add flour; mix on low speed until consistency of coarse crumbs. Add Mascarpone and shredded Asiago, Parmesan and Romano cheeses. Mix until dough forms.
2. Knead dough on lightly floured work surface briefly to form compact disk (2 disks for foodservice). Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate at least one hour until firm.
3. Place chilled dough on work surface. Roll dough from center outwards to form log, 12" long and 1½" in diameter (2 logs). Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate until very firm, at least 4 hours.
4. Brush pastry log with beaten egg white, leaving ends clean. Combine cracked pepper and fennel; spread onto tray. Roll brushed pastry into pepper mixture until evenly coated on all sides except ends.
5. Cut pastry log into ⅛" thick slices. Arrange ½" apart on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake in 350°F oven until lightly golden, about 15 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Serve baked pastries at room temperature.
Recipe and photo: Belgioioso