Sicilian Baked Olives
YIELD: 8 to 12 ounces
8 to 12 oz. green olives
1⁄3 cup dry white wine
3 Tbsps. extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. flat leaf parsley
2 tsps. aged red wine vinegar
1 tsp. Sicilian oregano
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1⁄8 tsp. hot red pepper flakes
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. (If using a wood oven, cook slowly in very front of oven area.)
2. Rinse and drain olives. Place in a shallow 8 to 10-inch oven-proof baking dish. Add white wine and half of the olive oil.
3. Bake the olives, stirring 3 to 4 times for 30-40 minutes, or until olives are swollen and glistening.
4. Remove olives from oven and lightly prick with tines of a fork.
5. In a food processor or blender, combine remaining olive oil, garlic and parsley; purée until smooth. Remove and place in a small bowl. Mix in vinegar, oregano, pepper, and pepper flakes. Toss olives in this mixture and let stand for at least 2 hours.
All recipe/recipe photos from The Culinary Institute of America