YIELD: 6 TO 8 SERVINGS
1 lb. French green beans, clipped
Salted water, as needed
Ice water, as needed
1 lb. new potatoes, medium dice
1½ tsps. salt
1½ tsps. ground black pepper
3 Tbsps. garlic oil
½ tsp. garlic purée
3 Tbsps. toasted mustard seeds
1 tsp. mustard powder
2 shallots, thinly sliced
½ cup basil chiffonade
¼ cup sherry vinaigrette
1 cup halved red cherry tomatoes
1 yellow tomato, sliced ¼"
1. Blanch green beans in boiling salted for 4 minutes. Shock in ice water. Remove from water and pat dry. Reserve under refrigeration.
2. Season potatoes with salt, pepper and garlic oil. Roast in 350°F oven until tender and golden brown. Chill quickly.
3. For the dressing: Whisk together all ingredients. Reserve under refrigeration.
4. Reserve 2 Tbsps. of the dressing. Toss the green beans, potatoes and remaining dressing together. Reserve under refrigeration until needed.
5. Place the bean and potato salad diagonally down center of a large serving plate. Slightly overlap the yellow tomato slices alongside the green bean and potato salad. Lay the cherry tomatoes crosswise over the bean and potato salad. Serve immediately.
Recipe: Claudia Wyss, executive chef, Northwestern University at Norris Center, Evanston, Ill., for the United States Potato Board. Photo: Sodexo