YIELD: 3 servings
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 yellow onions, quartered
10 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tomatoes, quartered
1 red habanero, seeded
2 jalapenos, sliced
2 Tbsps. paprika
1 Tbsp. cumin
1 ½ lbs. chicken thighs
1 gallon chicken broth
5 (6") corn tortillas
1 Tbsp. cilantro (reserve 3 leaves)
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
as needed, pepperjack cheese, shredded
salt and pepper to taste
1. In the vegetable oil, saute the onion, garlic, tomato and chilies.
2. After the onions begin to caramelize, add the paprika and cumin.
3. Cook for two minutes.
4. Add the chicken thighs and the chicken stock.
5. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
6. Simmer for 45 minutes and remove chicken thighs. Cool thighs and shred meat.
7. Add corn tortillas to broth and let cook for additional 5 minutes.
8. Remove from heat and puree soup mixture until smooth.
9. Add shredded chicken meat and chopped cilantro to pureed soup.
10. Check for seasoning and garnish with pepperjack cheese and cilantro leaves.
Photo and Recipe: Metz & Associates, Ltd. and Director of Culinary Development Ryan T. McNulty, CEC