YIELD: 12 portions
3 Tbsps. lime juice
3 Tbsps. red onion, chopped
3 tsps. Southwest seasoning
1 Tbsp. garlic, finely chopped
to taste, salt
to taste, hot sauce
4 large (about 2 lbs.) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
9 slices bacon, cooked crisp, crumbled
1½ cups green bell pepper, chopped
1½ cups seeded, chopped tomato
1½ cups fresh corn kernels
3 Tbsps. fresh cilantro, chopped
¾ cup blue cheese dressing
12 (10”) flour tortillas
3 ripe Hass avocados (about 1½ lbs.)
1. Preheat grill or broiler. In a bowl, combine lime juice, onion, Southwest seasoning, garlic, salt and hot sauce. Add chicken breasts; toss until coated.
2. Grill chicken, turning once, until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature; cut lengthwise in ½" thick strips.
3. In a bowl, combine chicken, bacon, bell pepper, tomato, corn and cilantro. Stir in blue cheese dressing.
4. Cut avocados lengthwise in halves; twist to separate; remove pits by striking lightly with a knife blade and twisting; with a spoon, scoop avocado from shells. Cut halves in thin slices.
5. To assemble wraps: Spoon chicken mixture down center of tortillas, dividing evenly. Arrange avocado slices on top. Fold over one end of a tortilla and, starting with an adjacent side, roll up tightly; cut diagonally in half and place seam side down on a plate. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
Recipe: Chef Daniel Pliska, University of Missouri-Columbia, photo: Avocados from Mexico