YIELD: 30 pieces
2½ cups prepared blend of wild rice (Colusari red rice, wild rice, grano, sprouted brown rice and long-grain parboiled brown rice)
4 cups whole grain pancake batter, prepared
1 Tbsp. olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups roasted corn
1 bunch scallions, diced
½ cup sour cream
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 lb. 26/30 count shrimp, peeled, deveined
extra virgin olive oil for sautéing shrimp and cooking cakes
chipotle or other chile pepper seasoning (choose your favorite)
cilantro for garnish
1. For the pancake: Cook unseasoned wild rice or rice medley according to package directions. Drain any excess water and cool.
2. Prepare whole grain pancake batter per package directions, reserve. Sauté garlic in olive oil for 2 minutes while stirring, then mix in roasted corn, scallions and rice and heat through while stirring. After rice mixture has cooled, mix with pancake batter and reserve.
3. For the mousse: Combine peeled and pitted avocados with sour cream, salt and lime juice in food processor and blend until smooth. Add more sour cream if desired.
4. Heat oil in skillet and add ¼ cup batter for each cake. Sauté until light brown on both sides and cooked through. Shrimp should be sautéed in separate pan with chile pepper seasoning until just cooked through.
5. To serve, top each cake with a spoonful of avocado mousse (pastry bag or squeeze bottle also works well), add one shrimp and sprig of cilantro to finish.
Recipe and photo: Indian Harvest