YIELD: 240 servings
60 lbs.red onions, thinly sliced
2 1/2 cupsrosemary, chopped fine
1/4 cupsalt or to taste
1/4 cuppepper, fresh ground, or to taste
240 ea.chicken breasts, skinless, boneless
4 lbs.unsalted butter
1 gal.balsamic vinegar
- Mix dry ingredients (rosemary, salt and pepper).
- Marinate chicken, tightly covered, in 1/3 of the onions, mixed with 1/3 of the dry ingredients. Marinate at least two hours or overnight.
- Melt the butter in a large kettle and slowly cook the remaining onions until caramelized, about 12 min.
- Add the vinegar, water and remaining dry ingredients to onion mixture.
- Sauté until liquid is evaporated.
- Remove chicken from marinade. Discard remaining marinade.
- Grill chicken, turning occasionally, until cooked to 165°F internal temperature, 10¯12 min.
- Serve topped with onions.
- HACCP: assemble batches as needed, keeping chicken and onion mixture in refrigerator below 40°F until needed. Reheat to 165°F for at least 15 seconds before serving.
Recipe from Linda Hansen, director of nutrition services and Arturo Salguero-Galicia, lead cook, St. Joseph Health Systems Sonoma County, CA.