Yield: 6 servings
6 each duckling bone-in legs with thighs
2 Tbsps. orange flavored seasoned salt
3 Tbsps. olive oil
3 medium onions, short julienne, divided
1 lb. baby carrots, divided
1 lb., 8 oz. celery root, peeled, short batons, divided
6 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed slightly
6 bay leaves
½ oz. thyme, fresh
3 cups red wine, medium dry/fruity
1 1⁄2 qts. duck stock, simmering
2 parsnips, medium, channel cut, sliced about ¼-inch
½ cup dried cherries
2 Tbsps. corn starch, mixed with a little cold water
salt and black pepper, to taste
Sweet potato shortcake:
2 1⁄4 cups sweet potatoes (yellow flesh variety), cooked, mashed
5 Tbsps. sugar
7 Tbsps. vegetable shortening
2 1⁄4 cups flour
7 tsps. baking powder
¾ tsp. salt
1⁄3 tsp. ginger, ground
- For the duck: rub duckling with seasoned salt. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours. remove duckling; pat dry.
- Heat 1 tbsp.of oil over medium-high heat. sear duckling, skin side down until golden brown, 6-8 minutes. turn and brown the other side 5 minutes; pour off fat. reserve.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of oil, saute half of the onion, baby carrots, celery root and total amount of garlic until softened.
- Add sauteed vegetables, bay leaves and a generous sprig of thyme to duckling. Deglaze with red wine, reduce slightly, add duck stock. Cook covered in 375°F oven turning occasionally until tender, approximately 11⁄2 hours.
- While duck cooks, blanch parsnips and remaining celery root in salted boiling water until crisp-tender; refresh in cold water.
- Remove duckling. strain braising liquid; discard vegetables. Degrease liquid and combine with dried cherries, blanched parsnips and celery root; warm through. Discard duckling skin. remove meat from bones; add to vegetable-cherry mixture. simmer gently and thicken slightly with cornstarch slurry, if necessary. season with salt and pepper.
- For shortcake: Mix mashed sweet potato with sugar and shortening. sift together the dry ingredients. Cut into potato mixture. turn onto a floured surface; knead gently until the mixture holds together. roll dough out to a little more than a 1⁄2 inch thick. Cut into 6 – 4-inch rounds. Bake in 425°F oven for 15 minutes. transfer biscuits to a rack and return to the oven for approximately 15 minutes.
- For roasted vegetables: toss remaining carrots and onions with a little olive oil. season with salt and pepper. roast until softened. remove and sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves.
- To serve: Cut shortcake in half. spoon duckling mixture between the shortcake halves and drizzle with sauce. Arrange the roasted vegetable batons around half of the shortcake. sprinkle with fresh chives.
Recipe and photo from Maple Leaf Farms