YIELD: 12 servings
15 slices butterkäse cheese (mild, German-
style cheese), cut into 3-oz. slices
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups ground cashew nuts
3 cups pineapple juice
3 cups sweet vermouth
3 cups dry red wine
6 shallots, finely-chopped
12 sprigs fresh thyme
to taste salt
Garnish: as needed mixed baby greens
as needed vinaigrette
6 Tbsps. peanut oil
- Dust the cheese slices with flour. Dip each slice in beaten egg; re-dip each slice in flour and egg. Dip slices in ground cashews, turning to coat evenly. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- FOR THE SAUCE: Place pineapple juice, vermouth, wine, shallots, thyme and salt in a saucepan. Bring to boil; reduce heat to simmer and continue simmering until reduced by half. Strain and set aside.
- Just before service, toss greens lightly in vinaigrette; set aside.
- In a sautè pan, heat peanut oil until hot but not smoking. Add the cheese slices and sautè on both sides until golden brown.
- Place each cheese slice on a service plate and top each with lettuce mixture. Drizzle sauce over top and around edges, or serve in cruet on the side.
Photo and recipe from Roth Käse USA.