YIELD: 6, 1-lb. loaves
1.39 lbs. bread flour
1.39 lbs. water
0.5 grams yeast
3 lbs. water
4 lbs. bread flour
59 grams salt
14 grams yeast
- MAKE THE POOLISH (STARTER) with the first three ingredients, 18 hours in advance in a tub or large container.
- TO MAKE THE DOUGH, add 80% of the water (2.64 lbs.) to the poolish and dissolve the poolish. Add 4 lbs. bread flour, yeast and salt. Combine the mix. Gradually add the rest of the water, breaking down the dough. Leave covered in tub and allow to bulk ferment 20 minutes.
- Remove the dough, place on table and fold; cover and bulk ferment 20 minutes. Fold again and allow to ferment 10 more minutes.
- Cut dough into 6 equal pieces.
- Roll in semolina and place on couche with semolina.Allow to ferment a final 30 minutes.
- Place in 470°F hearth oven; reduce heat to 460°F and bake for 20 minutes; vent oven for 10 additional minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool.
Recipe from Chef Eric Kastel, Associate Professor, Baking & Pastry Arts, Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, NY.