YIELD: 4 servings
2 shallots, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsps. olive oil
sea salt to taste
12 oz. (about 5) carrots, peeled and chopped
1 Tbsp. Thai red curry paste*
3½ cups chicken stock
one 8 oz. tub Wisconsin Mascarpone cheese, room temperature
*The soup will have a definite “kick.” Reduce curry paste for a milder flavor.
1. Place shallots and garlic in olive oil in deep sauce pan, lightly salt. Cover and cook gently for 3-4 minutes, until limp but not brown.
2. Add carrots and continue to cook, covered, for 10 minutes over medium-low heat.
3. Add curry paste and chicken stock and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
4. Remove soup from heat and pour into blender beaker or food processor bowl; blend until smooth.
5. Return to heat and bring to simmer. Whisk in Mascarpone cheese.
6. Serve immediately in soup bowls.
Recipe and photo: Lee Kum Kee/Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board