Establishment: Restaurant, Club Operation, Catering Operation
Meal Type: Soup, Stew, Chili
Preparation Method: Simmer
Product Type: Wings, Turkey Legs/Drumsticks
3 Quarts cold water
4 Pounds TURKEY PARTS (wings, legs, thighs, breast)
1 Large carrot, peeled and cut in 3 chunks
1 Large sweet onion, quartered
2 Stalks celery, rough cut
1 Pound unsalted butter
1 Pound yellow onions, diced
3 Tablespoons garlic, minced
2 Ounces fresh jalapeños, seeded and small dice
1 Pound corn tortillas, chopped in 1/2-inch cubes
1-1/2 Pounds tomato puree
1-1/2 Pounds Cheddar cheese sauce
2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/4 Cup chili powder
2 Teaspoons ground cumin
1-1/2 Teaspoons dried oregano
4 Ounces old fashioned biscuit gravy mix
To Taste salt and freshly ground pepper
Turkey and Stock
1. Bring cold water to a boil add turkey parts and all of the vegetables.
2. When the turkey is cooked through, remove from stock.
3. Chill turkey, debone the turkey and return the bones to the stock. Continue to simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
4. Strain bones from the stock and reserve all of the stock. Separate and reserve 4 cups of stock to be used later.
1. Melt butter over medium heat in a large stock pot.
2. Add onions and sauté until translucent.
3. Add garlic, jalapeños and corn tortillas, cook for 3 minutes while stirring.
4. Add 2 qt. strained turkey stock, tomato puree, cheese sauce, lemon juice, hot sauce, chili powder, cumin and dried oregano.
5. In a small sauce pan, bring 3 cups of the reserved stock to a boil.
6. Add biscuit gravy mix to the remaining 1 cup reserved stock while it is at room temperature and whisk together. Add the 1 cup slurry to the 3 cups boiling stock. Whisk while it is simmering until it has thickened. Add thickened slurry to the soup.
7. Return cooked turkey to the soup and reheat thoroughly. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Yields: 24 – 8 ounce servings.
Photo & Recipe courtesy of the National Turkey Federation