YIELD: 6 servings
Photo Credit: Hone Studio
1 lb. 6 oz. boneless pork loin
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash black pepper
1 oz. fresh celery, rough cut
1 oz. Spanish yellow onion, rough cut
Red onion and apricot relish:
9 3/4 oz. fresh red onions, julienne
3 1/4 oz. dried apricots, chopped 1/2"
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup sherry wine
1/2 tsp. rosemary leaves, minced
1/4 tsp. thyme leaves
1/2 tsp. black pepper, ground
1, 12" rustic ciabatta loaf
4 oz. Pina Colada cream cheese
- FOR THE PORK: Season loin with salt and pepper. Place vegetables in bottom of roasting pan. Place meat in pan fat side up. Roast uncovered in 325°F oven 21/2 hours.
- Remove meat from oven when internal temperature reaches 160°F. Let roast rest at least 20 minutes before slicing.
- Strain pan drippings. Discard vegetables, reserving drippings for sauce. Slice; shingle slices in 2 1/2" steam table and nap with reserved drippings.
- FOR THE RELISH: Combine all relish ingredients except pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 40-45 minutes, until liquid is reduced and mixture is thick. Season with pepper and let cool. Keep chilled for service.
- TO ASSEMBLE EACH SANDWICH: Cut ciabatta in half lengthwise. Spread 1/2 cup pina colada cream cheese on cut sides of ciabatta. On bottom half, layer 2 8-oz. spoodles of relish and 18 oz. (18 slices) of pork. Top with remaining half of ciabatta. Cut each sandwich into 6 equal pieces. Serve for catered luncheon buffet.
Recipe provided by Franceso Esposito, executive chef and Sean Craig, catering chef, Aramark Corp., Philadelphia, PA