Yield: 16 servings
5 oz. butter
8 oz. white onions, julienne
2 cups whole wheat crackers, crumbled
1 lb. cream cheese
8 oz. creme fraiche
8 oz. garlic and herb spreadable cheese
5 Tbsps. all purpose flour
5 large eggs
- Grease 16 ramekins. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat 3 oz. of butter and caramelize onions. Once done allow to cool; reserve.
- Mix 2 oz. of the butter with the cracker crumbs, divide and place in the bottom of the ramekins. Bake for 10 minutes. Reserve.
- For the filling: In a mixer with paddle attachment place cream cheese, creme fraiche and spreadable cheese. Mix until soft.
- Add the flour, then one egg at a time. When the mixture is smooth, fold in caramelized onions.
- Pour into ramekins and cover each with lightly oiled parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes until set. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Serve with salsa, corn relish or tapenade.
Recipe from Matthew Crowe, pastry chef, student at the Art Institute of Dallas, TX, and grand prize winner in the 2nd Annual Alouette Culinary Stars Recipe Contest. Photo from Alouette.