YIELD: One 12-inch pizza
Olive oil,as needed
1 1/4 cups flour
1 3⁄4 tsps.salt
1 1⁄4 tsps.quick-rise yeast
1 ⁄3 cup purchased or homemade pesto*
6 ripe plum tomatoes,sliced 1⁄4-inch thick
2 oz.thinly sliced Prosciutto di Parma, cut in strips
3 ⁄4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano in thin shavings**or coarsely grated
Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Lightly coat a 12-inch pizza pan with olive oil.
- To make dough: In a food processor container, combine 1 cup of the flour, the salt, yeast, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 3⁄4 cup very warm water (120°F-130°F). Pulse three times to blend. Add the remaining 11⁄4 cups flour; process until mixture forms a ball; process until fully kneaded, about 45 seconds longer. Place dough in a bowl coated with olive oil; turn to grease top; cover and let rest for 15 minutes. On the pizza pan, pat and gently stretch dough into a 12-inch round.
- To assemble: spread 2 tablespoons of the pesto over the dough, leaving a 1⁄2 inch border. Arrange tomato slices on top.
- Bake until crust is golden brown, about 18 minutes. Top with Prosciutto di Parma strips and Parmigiano Reggiano shavings. Drizzle with remaining pesto. If desired, sprinkle pizza with black pepper.
* To make pesto: In a blender container, combine 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves, 5 Tbsps. olive oil, 3 Tbsps. grated Parmigiano Reggiano and 1⁄2 tsp. chopped garlic; blend until smooth. ** To make shavings, pull a vegetable peeler across the surface of a Parmigiano Reggiano wedge.
Recipe and photo from Parmigiano Reggiano