YIELD: 24 servings
1 qt. ripe olives, sliced
1 qt. Roma tomatoes, seeded, diced
1/4 cup jalapeño, minced
1 Tbsp. garlic, chopped
1/2 cup lime juice
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
6 lbs. extra firm tofu (not silken)
2 cups soy sauce
3/4 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup sesame oil
1 1/2 Tbsps. seasoned salt
1 Tbsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. coriander, ground
1 Tbsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. turmeric
- Combine first six ingredients (olives through cilantro) in a large bowl; mix well. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Cover and chill.
- Press tofu with heavy weight to remove excess moisture. Slice tofu into 2-in. x 2-in. x 1/2-in. squares. Place in shallow pans.
- Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor; blend until well-purèed. Pour mixture over tofu squares; cover and let marinate at least one hour.
- Heat skillet or flat-top to medium-high. Sear tofu on each side, brushing each side with marinade, until slightly blackened.
- Top each slice with 1/4 cup reserved olive mixture.
Recipe and photo from California Olive Industry.