Yield: 56 cups.
- 1 carton Golden Grill™ Russet Premium Hashbrown Potatoes
- as needed, hot water (140°F to 160°F)
- 3 lb. smoked bacon, coarsely chopped
- 6 lb. coarsely chopped onions
- 31⁄2 qt. corn kernels
- 2 qt. coarsely chopped poblano chiles, veined and seeded
- 2 gallons reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 4 qt. half & half
- 3 Tbsp. liquid smoke
- 31⁄2 lb. shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- for garnish, paprika
Fill carton of potatoes to fill line with hot water. Close carton. Let stand 10 minutes. Transfer to holding pan to let potatoes cool. If not using immediately, refrigerate in covered container.
Cook bacon in pot over medium heat until lightly browned. Drain; reserve grease. Return 1⁄2 cup bacon grease to pot. Add onions; cook until they begin to soften. Return bacon; cook another minute.
Add corn and chiles. Cook and stir another minute. Add broth; bring to a boil. Stir in refreshed potatoes and salt. Cover pot and reduce heat to low. Simmer chowder, covered, about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Uncover pot. Stir in half & half. Heat completely but do not boil. Add liquid smoke. Hold chowder warm for service. Ladle 11⁄2 cups chowder into each serving bowl. Garnish each serving with 1 oz. shredded cheese and sprinkle with paprika.