YIELD: 6 servings
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup ketchup
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
1/8 cup rice vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 Tbsp. ginger powder
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 1/2 Tbsp. corn starch (mixed with 1/4 cup water)
- In bowl, combine water, ketchup, brown sugar, orange juice, rice vinegar, soy sauce and ginger.
- Place medium size pan over high heat until hot.
- Add cooking oil and swirl pan to coat entire pan.
- Add the mixture from the bowl, bring to a boil, turn off heat and let stand uncovered until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Stir in corn starch mixture and let thicken.
Recipe from Jean Ronnei, Nutrition Services Director, Saint Paul Public Schools