Yield: 24 servings
64 oz.canned red or pink wild salmon, skin and bones removed (or 3.3 lb. pouch),drained
4 sheets frozen puff pastry,10-in.x 15-in., thawed
2 Tbsps.whole milk
4 pts.cherry tomatoes
6 Tbsps.prepared basil pesto
12 oz.mozzarella cheese,shredded
to taste salt and freshly ground black pepper
as needed basil leaves,for garnish
- In large bowl, gently break drained salmon into large chunks; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat sheet pans with spray.
- Cut each sheet of puff pastry dough into 6 squares, each measuring 5-in. x 5-in., for a total of 24 squares. Arrange pastry squares on sheet pans. Using back of knife, score a 1-in. border around each square without cutting through.
- Mix together beaten egg and milk. Lightly brush each pastry square with egg mixture.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until puffy and golden brown.
Remove pastries from oven and cool slightly. Put tomatoes in small roasting pan sprayed with pan release and roast for about 5 minutes, shaking pan occasionally. Remove tomatoes and set aside.
- For each tart, push down center square of pastry to form a space for the filling. Spread each square with 1 tsp. pesto. Top with 2 Tbsps. mozzarella cheese and salmon chunks. Top with roasted tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Return to oven for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Portion one tart per plate and garnish with basil leaves.
Recipe and photo from the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute.