YIELD: 4 hand pies
2 Tbsps. butter
2 Tbsps. olive oil
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
½ sweet yellow onion, diced
½ tsp. chopped fresh herbs (such as sage or parsley)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cracked black pepper
dash red pepper flakes
pre-made pie crust (enough for standard 2-crust pie), rolled and cut into 8 (4-inch) rounds
4 fully cooked chicken sausage patties
½ cup gruyere or sharp Cheddar cheese (optional)
1 tsp. water
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In medium skillet heat butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. Add diced apple, onion, herbs, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Sauté until onion is translucent and apple has softened. Remove from heat.
3. Space 4 pie crust rounds on baking sheet, 2 inches apart. Place 1 sausage patty on each round, top with 1 Tbsp. apple/onion mixture. If desired, sprinkle cheese on top of apple/onion mixture.
4. In small bowl whisk together egg and water. Brush egg wash around outer rim of each of the 4 pie crusts. Cut a few slits in middle of remaining 4 pie crusts and drape over top of prepared pies. Gently pull bottom crust edge of each pie up and over top crust, creating a sealed edge, being sure to tuck top crust into bottom crust.
5. Slightly crimp edges with fork and brush entire pie with egg wash. If desired, sprinkle top with coarse salt and/or cracked black pepper.
6. Bake at 350°F until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Recipe: Jones Dairy Farm