YIELD: 12 servings
20 slices bread (Texas toast)
32 oz. milk
2 cups brown sugar
8 large eggs
2 Tbsps. cinnamon, ground
1 tsp. clove, ground
4 oz. coffee, French roast
4 oz. prepared Crème Anglaise
1 cup whipped cream
1. Cut bread into squares (9 squares per slice of bread). Line bread on sheet pan and bake at 325°F for 10-15 minutes or until toasted.
2. In a pot, combine coffee, milk and 1 cup of the brown sugar. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the last cup of brown sugar, eggs, cinnamon and cloves. Slowly whisk in the hot milk. Place the bread into the custard and allow custard to soak into bread. Then place the bread pudding into a 4” half hotel pan.
4. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 300°F for 30 minutes. Uncover, raise oven temperature to 325°F and bake for additional 15 to 20 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
5. Once cooled, but into 12 squares. Use a squeeze bottle to make a sauce design on the plate with the Crème Anglaise, and drizzle more on top. Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream.
Photo and recipe: Chef Jay Perry, Oregon State University