YIELD: 2½ dozen
3 cups flour
2 tsps. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened, divided
¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
½ cup molasses
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow cream
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. lemon extract
1 cup crushed peppermint candies
1. Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt together in large bowl. Beat ¾ cup of the butter and brown sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add molasses and egg; beat well.
2. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Press dough into a thick flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
3. Shape dough into 1" balls. Roll in granulated sugar. Place 2" apart on ungreased baking sheets.
4. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies just begin to brown. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
5. Mix marshmallow cream, remaining ¼ cup butter, cream cheese and extract in medium bowl until well blended. Place about 1 Tbsp. filling on the flat side of 1 cookie. Top with a second cookie, pressing gently to spread the filling. Repeat with remaining cookies. Roll edge of cookies in crushed candy. Store whoopie pies between layers of wax paper in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Photo & Recipe: McCormick & Company, Inc.