Eggless Italian Custard
YIELD: 19, 4-oz. servings
5 gelatin sheets
2 cups water
1 qt. heavy cream
12 oz. sugar
1⁄4 tsp. salt
30 oz. buttermilk
1. Place the gelatin in water, stir briefly to ensure all sheets are completely moistened. Allow to bloom for 10-15 minutes.
2. Combine heavy cream, sugar and salt in a saucepan. Warm the mixture to dissolve the sugar and salt, making sure the mixture does not simmer.
3. Remove gelatin sheets from water and squeeze out. Dissolve the bloomed gelatin over a pan of simmering water.
4. Combine the melted gelatin with warm cream mixture. Allow mixture to cool slightly and blend in the buttermilk. Evenly divide among the containers/ custard molds.
5. Wrap tightly and refrigerate until set.
Variations: Cinnamon: Place one cinnamon stick in warm cream mixture, cover and allow to steep for 15 minutes. Continue with remainder of the method as indicated above. Lemon: Combine one teaspoon of fine lemon zest with cream mixture and continue with remainder of the method as indicated above.
Recipes above from The Culinary Institute of America