YIELD: 48 whoopie pies
For the red velvet cookies:
1 lb. butter, unsalted, softened
1 cup sugar, granulated
8 large eggs
5 lbs. Devil’s Food Cake mix
2 oz. red food coloring
For the filling:
3 lbs. cream cheese, softened
3 lbs. prepared vanilla crème icing
1. For the cookies: Cream butter and sugar in a mixer bowl with paddle attachment on medium speed for 2 minutes.
2. Add eggs. Mix on low speed for 1 minute. Add mix and food coloring. Mix on low speed until combined, approximately 2 minutes.
3. Scoop dough using a no. 30 scoop in a 3x5 pattern into a greased or parchment lined full sheet pan. Place a sheet of parchment over cookies and press down cookies with a sheet pan to flatten. Convection oven: Bake at 300°F for 8-10 minutes. Standard oven: Bake at 350°F for 9-11 minutes. *Rotate pans baked in convection oven one-half turn (180°) after 4 minutes.
4. For the filling: Place cream cheese in a mixer bowl with a paddle attachment. Cream on medium speed for 3-4 minutes. Scrape down bowl and add vanilla icing. Mix on low speed until incorporated, approximately 1 minute.
5. Finishing: Cool cookies completely. Pipe or spread 2 oz. of icing onto the flat side (bottom) of one cookie. Top with the flat side (bottom) of another cookie and press down gently to distribute the cream cheese filling evenly.
Photo and recipe: General Mills Foodservice