The University of Connecticut has established its own honey-making operation, setting up 10 hives of honeybees that are expected to produce up to 2,000 pounds of honey, more than half of the school's annual needs. The beekeeping operation is behind an apple orchard on the school's Storrs campus.
UConn Dining Services Production Chef Amy Gronusand Area Assistant Manager Steve Anthony are serving as beekeepers until the operation can be taken over by the university's School of Agricultural Science. The setup cost of the apiary was around $4,000.
More Front of the House Articles
- ASHFSA Meets in Vegas
- Healthy Meals Drive Participation
- Composting at Cox
- Finan Takes Over at Cornell
- Senate to Privatize Restaurants
- Morrison Sends Chefs Into the Fields
- Cruisin' at SDSU
- Penton Food Group Launches JobZone
- Premier Debuts Cabot Award
- Mary Hofer, 1947-2008
- HFM Announces Culinary Finalists
- Aramark Names B&I Head
- GAO Slams FDA