YIELD: 9 servings
10.5 oz. cake flour
1½ Tbsps. baking powder
6 oz. butter, unsalted
¾ Tbsps. salt, kosher
1¾ cups sugar, granulated
¾ oz. vanilla extract, imitation
1 can (14 oz.) evaporated milk
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
12 oz. heavy cream
1. Spray hotel pan with nonstick spray. Set aside. In a bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In mixing bowl fitted with paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Scrape the sides of the mixing bowl.
3. Add the eggs one at a time until thoroughly combined, then add vanilla. Decrease mixer speed to 1 and then add the flour mixture and mix batter until combined.
5. Transfer batter to hotel pan and evenly spread. Bake at 325°F for 20-25 minutes rotating halfway through baking. Remove the cake from the oven and poke holes in the cake with a toothpick. Set aside.
6. In a bowl, combine the evaporated, sweetened condensed milk and ½ cup of the heavy cream.
Pour the milk mixture over the cake and let the cake sit in the cooler overnight to soak up the liquid.
7. The next day, whip the remaining to cups of cream and frost the top of the cake. Cut the cake into 9 pieces and serve.
Photo and recipe: Oregon State University