YIELD: 10 servings
|1 Tbsp.||olive oil|
|1 Tbsp.||ground cinnamon|
|2 tsps.||ground nutmeg|
|¼ cup||brown sugar|
|1 oz.||ginger, peeled, julienned|
|1¼ cups||sugar, divided|
|4 cups||balsamic vinegar|
|1 cup||orange juice|
|¼ cup||simple syrup|
|1 pt.||strawberries, sliced|
|2 pts.||strawberries, small dice|
|1 cup||feta cheese|
|½ cup||dried cranberries|
|¾ cup||balsamic glaze, divided|
|2 Tbsps.||extra-virgin olive oil|
|to taste||salt and black pepper|
|2 oz.||spiced walnuts|
|1 oz.||candied ginger|
1. To prepare spiced walnuts: Combine ingredients; toss well. Place walnuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 10 minutes or until dark-golden brown. Reserve.
2. To prepare candied ginger: Combine ginger, water and 1 cup sugar. Simmer for 20 minutes. Remove ginger and dust with remaining sugar. Reserve.
3. To prepare balsamic glaze: Combine ingredients in a stainless-steel saucepan. Simmer until reduced by half. Reserve for plating.
4. Combine simple syrup, sliced strawberries and orange segments. Reserve for plating.
5. Combine diced strawberry, feta, cranberries, ½ cup balsamic glaze and olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
6. To assemble salad per portion: Divide mesclun among 10 small plates. Spoon strawberry/feta/cranberry mixture over mesclun. Garnish plates with spiced walnuts, candied ginger, sliced strawberries, orange segments and remaining balsamic glaze.
Recipe by Ken Toong, executive director of Dining Services, UMass-Amherst.