Creating flavors from the sea with nori (dried seaweed), sea salt, Old Bay seasoning, hearts of palm and more, the Metz culinary team and Forward Food created a very close facsimile to the classic crab cake.
YIELD: 4-6 patties
1 (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans, rinsed (save liquid)
2 (14 oz.) cans heart of palm, drained, rinsed and cut in half
4 Tbsp. reserved garbanzo bean liquid
¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 cup nori flakes
1 tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
½ tsp. sea salt, more to taste
1 ½ tsps. Old Bay seasoning
1 tsp. granulated garlic
1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
½ cup green onion, sliced
Gluten-free breadcrumbs, as needed to coat patties
½ cup preferred oil for pan-frying (divided)
1. In food processor, add garbanzo beans and hearts of palm. Pulse just a few times to break up. Do not pulse too many times or it will turn to mush. It should have a crab-like consistency. You can also do this manually, just use a fork or your hands to shred. Set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl, whisk reserved liquid from the beans well, until it’s slightly foamy. Then add vegan mayonnaise, lemon juice, nori flakes, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, sea salt, Old Bay and granulated garlic. Whisk to combine well.
3. To the mayonnaise mixture, add breadcrumbs, green onion and hearts of palm-garbanzo bean mixture. Gently fold to combine. Taste for salt or seasoning. Place mixture in freezer for 20 minutes to help it stay together better.
4. Place enough breadcrumbs onto shallow plate to coat patties evenly. Take mixture out of freezer. Place about ¼ cup mixture into your hands to form ball. Gently flatten to form into patty shape. Coat patty in breadcrumbs on each side. Place aside until mixture is gone.
5. Heat large skillet over medium heat (about 2-3 minutes). Add about 2 Tbsps. of oil and heat until it’s shimmery before adding patties. If you place patty in pan and hear it sizzle, that means it’s ready.
6. Do not overcrowd patties on the pan. Pan fry about 3-4 minutes on each side or until light golden brown. Try to only flip each patty once. When done, transfer patties to paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil. Serve with vegan tartar sauce, lemon wedges and top with chopped green onions.