This is one of the dishes created by Compass Group chefs for the company's Stop Food Waste Day celebration on April 27 for Earth Day. The full gallery is here
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
4 medium organic banana peels, ripe but not brown
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. smoked paprika
½ tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dry mustard powder
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp granulated onion
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
¼ cup water
2 tsp. fresh squeezed lime juice
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp. cracked black pepper
2 cups vinegar slaw
¼ cup vegan BBQ sauce
4 vegan hamburger rolls
Method of Prep:
- Wash bananas well and dry bananas. Utilize the fruit of the banana in your favorite recipe or eat fresh. Reserve the banana peel for this recipe.
- Slice the top and bottom of the bananas and remove the peels. Using a spoon, scrape the white part of the banana off from the peels.
- Using a fork, shred the banana peels and cut into 2 inch long sections.
- Mix all of the dried spices through the coriander and toss with the banana peels in a bowl.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil. Add the spice coated banana peels and the water and cook over medium heat. Add more water 1 tbsp. at a time if the pan goes dry.
- After 5 minutes, test the banana peels. The riper the bananas are, the faster they will cook.
- When they are you preferred texture, add the BBQ sauce and cook 1 minute more.
- Toast your hamburger rolls, and top with ¼ of the banana peel mixture and ½ cup of vinegar slaw.