YIELD: 100 servings
For blueberry barbecue sauce:
4 pints blueberries, fresh or frozen
5 cups ketchup
2 cups apple cider vinegar
3 cups brown sugar
1 Tbsp. red pepper flakes, optional
1 Tbsp. black pepper
2 cups water
20 lbs. blueberries, fresh
40 lbs. chicken wings, bone-in, fully cooked
8 lbs. tater tots
6.25 gallons white cheese sauce
12 lbs. cherry tomatoes
8 lbs. cauliflower, cut into florets
100 slices (2 oz. each) whole-grain flatbread
1 cup chives or parsley, chopped
1. For sauce: In 2-gallon stock pot, combine all sauce ingredients. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Bring to boil.
2. Reduce to simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Sauce can be served hot on wings or chilled and served on the side.
3. For wings: Keep washed and dried blueberries cold for service.
4. Heat chicken according to manufacturer’s instructions. Keep hot.
5. Heat tater tots according to manufacturer’s instructions. Keep hot.
6. Heat cheese sauce in steamer. Keep hot.
7. Add one cup of sauce to each pan of chicken wings and stir to combine. Keep hot.
8. At time of service, place 1 serving of wings, ¼ cup tater tots with 1 oz. cheese sauce, ¼ cup cauliflower and ¼ cup cherry tomatoes. Offer additional sauce on the side.
9. Sprinkle wings and tater tot fondue with chives or parsley. Serve ½ cup blueberries on the side.
Photo: U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council Recipe: Chef Sharon Schaefer, SNS, Evolution of the Lunch Lady for U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council