YIELD: 12 tacos
12 (4.5”) heat-pressed flour tortillas
12 oz. beets, whole
2 2/3 oz. goat cheese
1 Tbsp. tarragon, fresh, chopped
1 Tbsp. chives, fresh, chopped
1 Tbsp. shallot, fresh, chopped
2 Tbsps. walnut oil
1 1/2 Tbsp. orange juice, fresh
1/2 Tbsp. champagne vinegar
1 cup tempura batter, prepared
2 Tbsp. beet puree
3 oz. arugula
2 Tbsp. capers, flash fried
2 Tbsps. walnuts
1. Pre-heat convection oven to 375°F. Roast beets for 50 to 70 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Once beets are cool enough to handle, peel the skins using a vegetable brush or paper towel.
2. Cut beets into 0.2-oz. wedges (cut into 1/4” circles, then quarter). Reserve 2 1/2 oz. of beets for beet puree.
3. Meanwhile, combine goat cheese, tarragon, chive and shallots. Mix well to combine. Reserve refrigerated.
4. For walnut vinaigrette: whisk together walnut oil, orange juice and champagne vinegar. Season to taste with salt. Reserve refrigerated.
5. Heat deep fryer to 350°F. In small saucepan, simmer reserved beets with 1/4 cup water for 5 minutes before pureeing until smooth. Combine beet puree with prepared tempura batter.
7. To serve: Dust each wedge in flour, dip in tempura batter and fry for approximately 2 1/2 to 3 minutes or until crispy and hot. To build each taco, lay 1/4 oz. arugula onto each tortilla and top with 3 pieces fried beet. Finish each with 1/2 tsp. fried capers, 1/2 tsp. walnuts, 1/4 oz. goat cheese and 1 tsp. vinaigrette.
Photo and recipe: Mission Foods