YIELD: 4 servings
For tomatillo salsa:
2 lbs. tomatillos, husked and rinsed
2 whole white onions, roughly chopped
6 cups fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
2 fresh jalapeno or serrano chilies, to taste, stemmed
8 large garlic cloves
extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
salt, to taste
For pickled red onions:
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup water
½ cup salt
¼ cup sugar
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
½ jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
ice, as needed
1 boneless pork shoulder
2 cups red chili powder
1 Tbsp. fresh oregano
3 limes, squeezed
butter, as needed
4 telera rolls, split
1. For tomatillo salsa: Cut tomatillos in half. Toss tomatillos, onions, chilies and garlic in olive oil. Salt to taste. Evenly spread tomatillo mixture on sheet pans. Roast in oven at 350°F for 30 minutes or until onions are brown and edges of tomatillo skin have blistered and are soft. Remove from oven and blend until smooth, adding water if needed. Chill and set aside (will keep for 7 days).
2. For pickled red onions: Combine vinegar, water, salt and sugar in pan. Bring to boil. Drop in sliced red onions and jalapeno and turn heat off. Let sit 30 minutes, then add ice to cool.
3. For pork: Cut pork into large cubes, 2x2-inches, and rub spices and lime juice onto pork. Heat heavy-bottomed skillet until very hot, adding pork shoulder to brown on all sides.
4. Once pork is browned, add tomatillo salsa and bring to simmer. Cover and simmer until pork is tender. Remove pork from skillet.
5. Griddle split telera rolls with butter.
6. Fry eggs to medium; set aside.
7. On bottom of each telera roll, add handful of pork shoulder cubes. Add egg. Add pickled red onions and place top roll.
Photo and recipe: Smithfield