Chris Crowley, chef manager of St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Edgewood, KY, has been named the winner of the Premier healthcare alliance Culinary Creations Contest and presented with the Culinary Cup for his oven seared cod with red lentil tabbouleh dish. Crowley was selected by more than 425 of his peers at Premier’s annual Foodservice Forum, held in conjunction with its Breakthroughs Conference & Exhibition, which drew more than 4,000 provider and supplier attendees to Nashville June 5-8. Crowley was among four finalists whose dishes were prepared by the Gaylord Opryland Hotel and members attending the Culinary Dinner on the night of June 6.
Premier also announced the winners of its Illuminating Excellence Award during the Foodservice Forum. The award honors accomplishments and improvements in foodservice operations including patient/resident/student satisfaction scores, documented cost savings, activities that support the values and mission of the organization, participation in the Premier alliance, professional and community activities and personal achievements in the last year.
2012 Illuminating Excellence Award Winners were...
Illuminating Excellence Winner-Education: Mike Flory, executive director of culinary services at Hendrix College (Conway, AZ)
Illuminating Excellence Winner-Acute Care: John Miller, system director for culinary wellness at Henry Ford Wyandotte (MI) Hospital
Illuminating Excellence Winner-Continuum of Care: Ernst Springhorn, chef at Scottsdale (AZ) Village Square
“We celebrate these individuals as winners of the highly prestigious Culinary Cup and Illuminating Excellence Award,” said Debby Kasper, RD, LD, Premier manager of Clinical Nutrition. “The food provided and exceptional operational performance of these winners really are the best of the best in healthcare foodservice. We commend the winners, as well as the finalists and foodservice program members as they continue to enhance the culinary experience at their organizations.”
Here are the Culinary Creation Contest Finalists...
• Justin Klobucar, executive chef at Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center in Chicago (Recipe: Quinoa Koftas with Curry Yogurt Sauce and Mediterranean Kale Salad)
• Chris Kriner, executive chef at Nichols H. Noyes Memorial Hospital in Dansville, NY (Recipe: Un Pizzico di Sud)
• Jim Stuart, chef at Ukiah (CA) Valley Medical Center (Recipe: Moroccan Spiced Chicken Skewers)
Here are the Illuminating Excellence Award Finalists...
• Istvan Abdai, director of food & beverage, at The Garlands of Barrington (IL)
• Tonya Burnett, director of nutrition services at St. Rita’s Medical Center in Lima, OH
• Lynda Christison, director at Lexington County (SC) Council on Aging
• Karen Klinkner, director of nutrition services at Avera Queen of Peace Hospital and
Avera Brady Health and Rehab in Mitchell, SD
• Barb Nissel, food service supervisor at Great Valley School District in Malvern, PA
• Stephanie Pearson, foodservice director at White Oak Estates in Spartanburg, SC
• Melissa Santoro, food service director at Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood, FL
• Ruth Ann Smith, director of food & nutrition services at Bon Secours St. Francis Medical Center in Midlothian, VA
• Rob Snoad, operations manager of food and nutrition at Mercy St. Charles Hospital in Oregon, OH
• Shaye Vensel, director of nutritional services at Mille Lacs Hospital and Home in Onamia, MN
Premier has the industry’s largest healthcare foodservice purchasing program, offering savings to more than 2,600 hospitals and 84,000-plus other healthcare sites across all 50 states. The program combines sole-source distribution through US Foods, aggressive contracts with foodservice manufacturers, industry leading value-added services, and educational opportunities.