Yield: 25 servings
12 oz. packaged peppered gravy mix
3⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 lbs. packaged sweet corn muffin mix
16 oz. water (as called for on corn muffin package)
13 oz. chorizo, cooked and drained
25 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease 25 4-in. x 2- in. ramekins, or a single shallow hotel pan.
2. Prepare gravy according to package directions.
3. Scramble eggs slightly; mix in cilantro.
4. Mix together corn muffin mix and the water until a smooth batter is formed.
5. If using ramekins, layer ingredients into each in the following order: 1 Tbsp. cornbread batter; 2 Tbsps. chorizo; 2 Tbsps. gravy; 1 Tbsp. cheese; 3 Tbsps. egg with cilantro; 1 Tbsp. cheese; 2 Tbsps. gravy; 1 Tbsp. cornbread batter.
6. Alternatively, if using hotel pan, layer all ingredients in the order listed.
7. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes for ramekins; 25 minutes for hotel pan, until top layer of cornbread is golden brown. Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe and photo from C.H. Guenther & Son, Inc.