YIELD: 8 burgers
For the lentil patties:
1 ½ cups brown lentils, rinsed and picked through
6 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
4 garlic cloves, smashed
1 red chili, diced
¼ red onion, diced
5 sprigs fresh thyme, roughly chopped
2 slices wholegrain bread, roughly diced (or 1 ½ cups breadcrumbs)
salt and pepper, to taste
2 eggs, lightly whisked
1-2 Tbsps. whole-grain flour
As needed, vegetable oil to coat grill pan
8 slices cheese (your choice, or omit)
8 Tbsps. relish
8 sweet sandwich pickles
4 oz. baby lettuce
4 oz. alfalfa sprouts
1 avocado, cut into slices
8 whole-wheat poppy seed buns, toasted
1. To make the patties: Place lentils in large saucepan with stock and smashed garlic. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Drain off any excess liquid and set aside to cool.
2. Combine chili, red onion, thyme and breadcrumbs in large bowl. Add cooked lentils and stir to mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Add whisked eggs to burger mixture. Stir until thoroughly combined, adding enough flour to bring mixture together. Form mixture into large patties by hand.
4. To assemble burgers: Prepare large frying pan or grill pan with light coating of vegetable oil. Cook patties 4-5 minutes, flip and cook another 4-5 minutes on other side until both sides are golden and cooked through.
5. If using cheese, top cooked burger patty with 1 slice cheese and place under broiler for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
6. Spread bun with relish, then a patty, then pickles, lettuce, alfalfa sprouts and avocado. Close burger with top bun.