YIELD: 48 SERVINGS
1 carton prepared hashbrown potatoes
2 pouches ready-made chili
4 qts. hot water
2 lbs. ground beef
24 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 qt. sour cream
2 heads iceberg lettuce, shredded
2 cups chopped cilantro
2 qts. diced tomato
2 cups shredded cheddar Jack cheese
1 lb. diced avocado
1. Refresh the hashbrown potatoes according to package directions.
2. Prepare the chili according to package.
3. Brown beef in 8 qt. pot. Add hot water and both pouches of chili. Cook, covered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set chili aside.
4. Spray 2 full hotel pans of 4" depth with nonstick spray. Divide and press ¼ of the refreshed hashbrown potatoes into each pan bottom. Layer each pan with ¼ chili and ¼ cheddar. Repeat layering in each pan.
5. Bake at 350°F (300°F convection) for 35 to 45 minutes until cheese is golden. Allow to rest 10 minutes out of oven before adding topping.
6. Spread 1 lb. sour cream over top layer in each pan. Combine lettuce, cilantro, tomatoes and diced avocado in bowl. Divide and spread topping to cover sour cream. Cut each pan 4 × 6.
7. Sprinkle each serving with 2 tsps. cheddar Jack cheese. Garnish with avocado.
Recipe: Greg Black, director of residential dining, University of Iowa. Photo: Basic American Foods