YIELD: 75 mini tacos
2 cups water
8 oz. greenwheat freekeh
3 Tbsps. olive oil
½ cup finely diced onion
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
½ lb. ground lamb
1 Tbsp. cumin
2 Tbsps. chili powder
¼ cup fresh oregano, chiffonade
¼ cup fresh mint, chiffonade
2 cups slaw (recipe follows)
75 mini corn tortilla shells
Greek yogurt, as needed
For the slaw:
2 cups finely shredded green cabbage
½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
½ red jalapeno, halved, seeded, julienned
1 green jalapeno, halved, seeded, julienned
½ cup sundried tomato, julienned
½ cup kalamata olive, julienned
salt, to taste
1. For the slaw: Mix together cabbage, onion, jalapeño, sundried tomato, olive, feta and juice from limes. Salt to taste. Let stand for about 15 minutes to incorporate all flavors and wilt cabbage.
2. Bring lightly salted water to a boil. Add freekeh. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Lay freekeh out on a sheet pan. Chill immediately.
4. In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is translucent. Add lamb. Sauté and cook completely, 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Add cooked freekeh, cumin, chili powder, oregano and mint. Mix well.
6. Spoon ½ oz. taco filling into each mini taco shell. Top with slaw. Serve with yogurt.