YIELD: 4 portions
For roasted grape and jalapeno jam:
1 jalapeno pepper, halved, seeds removed
1/3 cup red seedless grapes (about 10-12 grapes)
1 clove garlic, peeled
2 ½ tsps. shallots, sliced
pinch kosher salt
¼ tsp. canola oil
2 Tbsps. fresh squeezed orange juice (not from concentrate)
1 ½ tsps. apple cider vinegar
½ tsp. honey
For orange chipotle vinaigrette:
1 ½ tsps. orange marmalade
½ tsp. chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced fine
¼ tsp. fresh garlic, minced
¼ tsp. shallots, chopped
1 ½ Tbsps. fresh squeezed orange juice (not from concentrate)
2 tsps. unseasoned rice vinegar
½ tsp. honey
pinch black pepper
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
7 oz. lean ground beef
2 portobello mushrooms, sautéed, chopped fine (about 1 ½ cups)
1 tsp. whole garlic, minced
2 tsps. fresh cilantro, chpped
½ tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. dry ground mustard
¼ tsp. kosher salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
For watercress and fennel salad:
3 cups watercress (packed)
6 Tbsps. fresh fennel, shaved
4 Tbsps. red onions, sliced thin
4 Tbsps. Granny Smith apples, julienne
4 Tbsps. Red Delicious apples, julienne
3 Tbsps. orange chipotle vinaigrette
8 slices plum tomato, sliced 1/4”
8 small pretzel rolls (about 1 ½ oz. per roll)
1. For jam (prepare a day ahead): In small bowl, combine jalapeno pepper halves, grapes, shallots, garlic clove, salt and oil. Toss to coat well. Place mixture in single layer onto sheet pan. Roast at 400°F for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven.
2. In sauce pot, combine roasted vegetable mixture, orange juice, vinegar and honey. Simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Place mixture in food processor or blender and process until smooth. Refrigerate jam overnight to allow flavors to blend and mixture to thicken.
4. For orange chipotle vinaigrette: In bowl or blender, combine all vinaigrette ingredients except for olive oil. Blend well. Slowly whisk or stream in oil and mix well.
5. For burger mix: In mixing bowl, combine all burger ingredients. Mix well. Portion 3 Tbsps. of mixture into each patty. Hold refrigerated until ready to cook.
6. For watercress and fennel salad: in large bowl, combine watercress, fennel, red onions and both apples. At service time, add vinaigrette and toss well to coat. (1 cup portion per person).
7. For slider assembly: In preheated nonstick skillet or well-oiled grill, place slider patties. Cook for 2 minutes each side or until desired doneness.
8. Lightly toast pretzel rolls. For each slider, spread 1 tsp. roasted grape and jalapeno jam on bottom of roll. Top with 1 cooked slider patty and 1 slice plum tomato.
9. Spread another 1 tsp. jam on top of roll and place on sandwich to close. Serve 2 sliders and cup salad per person.