YIELD: 4 servings
For the salsa (makes 2 ½ cups):
3 unpeeled apples, cored and diced
½ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
½ ripe avocado, peeled and diced
2 Tbsps. sliced green onion, including top
1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1 tsp. granulated sugar
1 tsp. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. minced jalapeno pepper
½ tsp. minced garlic
1/8 tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. salt
For the marinade:
2 Tbsps. vegetable oil
4 Tbsps. water
4 Tbsps. fresh lime juice
6 large cloves garlic, finely minced
3 tsps. fresh cilantro leaves, minced
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
¼ tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. salt
1 lb. pork tenderloin or lean pork roast
8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
1. Combine all salsa ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate several hours.
2. Combine marinade ingredients in plastic bag, add pork, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 ½ hours, turning occasionally.
3. Preheat grill. Drain marinated pork, saving excess marinade. Place pork on grill and brush with leftover marinade. Grill over high heat, turning frequently, for 8-10 minutes, until internal thermometer reads 155°F to 160°F. Remover from heat and place on clean plate.
4. Wrap tortillas tightly in foil and heat on upper grill rack for 10 minutes.
5. Cut pork diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Arrange one-eighth of pork slices and 2 or 3 Tbsps. salsa in center of tortilla. Fold bottom half of tortilla over filling and arrange on plate.