½ cup flour
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
2 cups vegetable oil
6 IBP Boneless Center-Cut Pork Chops, 6 oz. each
¼ cup sage, chopped
2 medium Red Delicious apples, peeled and sliced thin
½ cup pecans
4 cloves garlic, chopped
6 cups chicken stock
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
3 Tbsp. butter
3 cups collard greens, chopped
¼ cup red wine vinegar
3 medium sweet potatoes
1. Place flour in pan.
2. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper; mix thoroughly.
3. Heat ½ cup vegetable oil in large frying pan.
4. Dredge pork chop in seasoned flour.
5. Fry until golden brown, 4 minutes per side.
6. Remove pork chops and keep warm.
7. Add apples, sage, pecans and half the garlic to pan; sauté for 2 minutes.
8. Add 3 cups of chicken stock and balsamic vinegar; bring to a boil.
9. Reduce sauce to a simmer and add pork chops to sauce and cook for 30 minutes.
10. Remove pork chops; reduce sauce by half and add butter until thick.
For Collard Greens:
1. Add 2 Tbsps. vegetable oil to pan; add remaining garlic; cook for 1 minute.
2. Add chopped collard greens, remaining chicken broth and red wine vinegar to pan.
3. Cook until tender, 8-10 minutes.
For Sweet Potatoes:
1. Peel sweet potatoes.
2. Slice potatoes to shoestring size on mandolin.
3. Heat remaining oil to 350°F; add potatoes and cook until golden.
1. Place ½ cup of collard greens on center of plate; put one pork chop on top.
2. Place ½ cup sweet potato fries on top of pork; drizzle 2 oz. of sauce onto plate.
Recipe: Tony Almeida, Director of Food and Nutrition and Sam Malek, Executive Chef, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, New Brunswick, NJ. Photo: HFM
To read more about Sam Malek, see this month's Guest Chef.